NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉

Results 1 - 4 of 4 articles          

2008/1/28


揖宿神社 Ibusuki-jinja Ibusuki Shrine

Jp En

Ibusuki Shrine is located in Higashikata, Ibusuki City, Kagoshima Prefecture. The enshrined deity is OOhirumemuchi-no-mikoto.
According to the shrine’s record, the shrine’s history dates back to 706 when a shrine was built to honor the visit of Emperor Tenchi and was named Katsuragi Palace.
In 874, due to the great eruption of Mt. Kaimondake, the spirit of the shrine was transferred to Hirasaki Shrine and was renamed Montake-shinguu or Montake New Palace. It was after the Meiji Restoration that the palace received its current name, Ibusuki Shrine.
The shrine has been worshiped as the general shrine deity of Yabusuki area, primary deity of local reclamation and guardian deity of sailing and business prosperity.
The main building seen today was built by Shimazu Narioki in 1847.
In the precinct stand eight gigantic camphor trees which are estimated to be over 700 years old. The whole area is known as Ibusuki’ god forest and designated as a natural monument by Kagoshima Prefecture.
Ibusuki Shrine is the historical shrine that had been deeply venerated by the successive heads of the Satsuma Clan.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



2007/10/2


無量寿寺 Muryouju-ji Muryojuji Temple

Jp En

Yatsuhashizan Muryojuji Temple in Chiryu City, Aichi Prefecture, is a temple of the Myoshinji school of the Rinzai sect. It was founded as the temple named “Ryounji” in 704 but the founder is unknown. In 822, the priest of the Shingon sect, Mitsuen, moved the temple to the present place and renamed it “Muryojuji.” The temple was converted again to the Rinzai sect by the priest Genten in 1670.

Muryojuji Temple is famous for Kakitsubata, or the rabbit-ear iris (Iris laevigata Fisch.), about which Ariwara no Narihira wrote a poem in the Chapter 9 “Yatsuhashi” of his famous “Ise Monogatari (the Tales of Ise).” In 1812, the iris garden was built after the design by Hogan Baisa, a master of the Sencha tea ceremony. This iris garden is now arranged into a famous iris garden named Yatsuhashi Iris Garden, where the city’s biggest event, Iris Festival, is held from the end of April through the middle of May every year. It may be nice to write a poem like Ariwara no Narihira, viewing lovely iris flowers.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



2007/8/2


飯豊神社 Iitoyo-jinja Iitoyo Shrine

Jp En

Iitoyo Shrine in Kami Town, Miyagi Prefecture, is an old shrine with a history of over 1300 years. Its origin is not cleat but it is said that Kosemaro, shogun to conquer the Emishi, transferred Ukemochi no Kami to this place in 705. As the shrine had no halls in those days and a huge stone was enshrined, it was called “Ishigami-sama (Stone God).”

Later in 737, Ono Azumabito, who was appointed Chinjufu Shogun (Commander-in-Chief of the Defense of the North) and Azechi (inspector), built a shrine building. In the Heian period (794-1192), it was listed in Jinmyocho (the official list of deityies) in Engishiki (the codes and procedures on natinal rites and prayers).

Through periods of ebb and flow, the shrine building was rebuilt in around 1,300 by Utsumi Nagashige, the castellan of Asahi Castle in Onoda in present Kami Town. He faithfully revered the shrine.

In the precinct is an old cedar tree with a circumference of 6 m, about which some say it was planted by Sakanoue Tamuramaro, while others say Minamoto no Yoritomo. A huge stone, which is worshipped by people as the god of safe delivery, is enshrined beside the tree. From the shrine precinct, a panoramic view including Mt. Kurikoma can be enjoyed on fine days.

Surrounded with unchanging landscapes, the shrine stands quietly with the everlasting lapse of time.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



2007/5/10


三徳山三仏寺 Mitokusan-Sanbutsu-Ji Mitokusan Sanbutsu-ji Temple

Jp En

Mitokusan Sanbutsu-ji Temple belongs to the Tendai Buddhist sect and is located in Mitoku, Misasa-cho, Touhaku-gun, Tottori Prefecture. The temple's main deities are the Gautama Siddharta, Amitabha and Vairocana Buddhas. It is also the 31st Fudasho of the Chinese Kannon Sacred Ground, and the 29th Fudasho of the Houki Kannon Sacred Ground.

The temple was founded by En-no-Gyoja (also known as En-no-ozuno) in 706 as a training ground for Shugendo (the study of the relationship between man and nature). In 849, Jikaku Daishi Enin bestowed to the temple its three principle Buddha images.

This mountain temple is located on Mt Mitoku (900m), which lies practically in the center of Tottori Prefecture. A mountain trail continues from the main temple to Nageiredo hall, passing the Monjudo and Jizodo halls. The Shoro hall can be seen, too. Nageiredo is a platform temple built some 470m up in the rock face, and is the only national treasure in Tottori. Mitokusan Sanbutsu-ji Temple is a sacred site, famous both as a scenic spot and an historic relic.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



Results 1 - 4 of 4 articles          
NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - 日本語に切り替える NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - to english

"Nippon-kichi" leads you to places, people and things that reveal a certain Japanese aesthetic.

Articles: 5445
Categories
Prefectures
Keywords shuffle
Favorites
Keywords Search
View history



Linkclub NewsLetter